Tuesday, March 11, 2014

"The Story Being Told"
    -Statement of Intent


As an aspiring filmmaker, and avid movie lover, I've become disenchanted with movie critics as well as a lot of contemporary movies.  Too many people talk too much about "what they liked" and "what they didn't like" and try to pass it off as objective fact.  Strong opinions are getting confused with informed and educated discussion.  Not only that, but I think many filmmakers forget that when they're making a movie their primary goal is to tell a good story.  A "good story" gets confused with spectacle or a high stakes premise.  So as a way to learn as much as I can about how movies are constructed, as well as address what I believe to be the fundamental objective of movie making, I wanted to start a blog where I write about movies from the perspective of storytelling.  If a movie stays true to it's story, it is more likely to be successful in its endeavors.  I will aim not to make judgments on whether or not a movie is good or bad, but whether or not it accomplished it’s story telling goals.  By discussing movies in such a way, you can express that although a movie may be poorly constructed, it may still be a good story, or at least very entertaining.

I encourage anyone who reads my blog to comment and continue the discussion.  I will do my best to reply to anyone who leaves a thoughtful comment.  Thank you, and I hope you enjoy what I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment